Eric Belsky released a paper this year titled The Dream Lives On: the Future of Homeownership in America. Eric is both the Managing Director of the Joint Center of Housing Studies at Harvard University and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Housing Research and Housing Policy Debate.
In his paper are five financial reasons people should consider buying a home:
- Housing is typically the one leveraged investment available.
- You’re paying for housing whether you own or rent.
- Owning is usually a form of “forced savings”.
- There are substantial tax benefits to owning.
- Owning is a hedge against inflation.
Homeownership is not just part of the American Dream – it carries many financial benefits. Read excerpts from Belsky’s paper that support these five reasons at KCMblog.com.